Cover Crop Program
Congratulations... ON YOUR DECISION TO PLANT COVER CROPS THIS FALL!
The Maryland Agricultural Water Quality Cost-Share (MACS) Program welcomes you as one of nearly 2,000 cover crop farmers who are helping to protect water quality in the Chesapeake bay and its tributaries, reduce soil erosion and increase the productivity of crop fields.
It's time to begin planning your cover crop program. Please take a moment to review the planting information and payment schedule so that you'll be ready for the fall planting season.
New this year: Farmers may mix any approved cover crop species. Cereal grain, ryegrass and forage mixes must be planted at a seeding rate of 60/40. The species with the earliest planting date determines the planting deadline. Mixes containing rye do not qualify for the $10/acre rye incentive.
COVER CROP PLANTING DATES AND RATES
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENT AND PAYMENT INFORMATION
All cover crops must be planted by November 5, 2014. farmers must certify acres planted with the local soil conservation district by November 12, 2014 to qualify for payment.
FIND A CONTRACTOR TO PLANT YOUR COVER CROP
See the link to the Cover Crop Contractors Directory below for a list of contractors who can plan cover crops in your fields this fall.
The 2014-2015 Cover Crop Program is administered by the Maryland Agricultural Water Quality Cost-Share (MACS) Program and funded by the Chesapeake Bay Restoration Fund and the Chesapeake Bay 2010 Trust Fund.
50 Harry S. Truman Parkway
Annapolis, MD 21401
- Maryland Farmers Set Record Cover Crop Enrollment
- Welcome Cover Crop Farmers (Printable Version)
- MDA 2014-2015 Cover Crop Program (Printable Version)
- LINK: Cover Crop Priority Watershed Map
- How to Use the Cover Crop Priority Watershed Map
- MDA Seed Sample Testing Form
- Cover Crop Contractors Directory
- Regional Seed Testing Lab
- University of Maryland Cover Crop Studies
- Cover Crop Program Overview